– Nerdy fragile main character forced into a violent and athletic career path, check.
– Failed traitorous plot leaves children of rebels marked, shunned, and forced into dangerous career path, check.
– Fated enemy is the hot, older, powerful love interest, check.
– Childhood best friend love interest, reunited after separation, does not live up to the memory, check.
– Deceased parent leaves not-so-cryptic hints about the power of those who write history, and book containing important secrets is no longer widely available, check.
– Remaining parent has no discernible emotions, forces their child into an unsuitable career path, shows no pride in their child’s success, manipulates the truth and history to ensure victory and power, check.
– Main character is surprisingly (not) protected by fated enemy, befriended by rebel scum, and exploited by childhood best friend, check.
– Fated enemy love interest can’t give in to being in a relationship because of the deep, dark secrets he is keeping from the main character (or, in this case, that everyone in this whole world is keeping from the main character), check.
-Deceased perfect sibling who isn’t actually dead, check.